Monday, January 12, 2009

i scream, rather cry, for ice cream

So I had my first legitimate pregnancy craving last week - McDonald's plain vanilla ice cream. It hit me about 3:00, and for a while I managed to push it to the back of my mind even though there is a McDonald's right across the street from the mall. After about 30 minutes of snuffing the craving, I could stand it no more. I gathered a list of other items folks in the office wanted and set out on a mission to satisfy my craving. As I was waiting in the drive thru with my window down ready to shout out my order and begin sucking down some ice cream, I overheard the lady in front of me order a McFlurry and then there seemed to be a lot of extra dialog between her and the crackling voice from the box. Fear began to rise in my stomach and as it became my turn to order. I quickly asked if they were out of ice cream. Indeed, they were out of ice cream. Okay, not a big deal, it's America and there's a McDonald's on every corner so I proceeded happily to another one just a few miles away. At this said location, there was a sign on the ordering station asking customers to pull up and place their order at the first window. I pulled up to the window and placed an order for the folks in the office being sure to save my ice cream order for the very end. Ahhh, no ice cream again! The sweet guy explained that several locations were upgrading their ice cream machines and it had not gone as smoothly as expected, hence the lack of ice cream all over town. I couldn't even get mad because sadness trumped anger in this situation. I headed back to work feeling completely defeated.
Even though I was over it by the next day, a lady from my office made a point to call the location across the street from the mall and inquire as to their ice cream availability. They were still working on the new machine but took her name and number and promised to call when they were up and running. By the time I left for the afternoon, the call had not come in.
Saturday was a day of victory for baby Wyatt and I. I had pretty much forgotten about my ravenous craving by this point but ventured out with Uncle Steve to the McDonald's near our house. He wanted some oj so we started with that request tacking on the ice cream at the end again. $3.02 is your total. Please drive thru came back over the speaker and my eyes grew extremely large. It was about to happen. I was going to finally get my ice cream. It was well worth the wait.

After the three-day ice cream wait, I upgraded my craving to a hot fudge sundae :)
Here's hoping I have better luck with any future cravings...

(Sorry for the wordiest entry about ice cream EVER!)

1 comment:

The Cornelisons said...

I love that you were so committed to having the ice cream! It's funny to read about, but man I would have been pissed!!!