Friday, June 8, 2012

sewing the seed

My mom is a great sewer. She enjoys reminding me that her senior home ec project was a 3 piece suit, whereas mine was an "E" pillow. She spent countless years trying to teach me to sew only to meet stiff resistance on my part. Enter Presley...something in me changed. I became glued to my sewing machine seeking out small, crafty projects and eventually tackling some complicated Halloween costumes. These days I love to spend time sewing and perfecting my understanding of patterns, which I still believe are written in some kind of code to keep people from learning the craft. Mom and I took on a dress project when she was here in April that proclaimed itself to be "easy". Hours later the dress was completed but the word easy wasn't on either of our lips. Mom returned in June for an extended stay and we tackled yet another dress project. This one mentioned nothing of being easy but I completed it all on my own and rather quickly. I even learned to make buttonholes. I was so energized by my success that I ended up making two more the next day. Here's to my mom, a great seamstress and the woman who fought me to sew.

No comments: