Thursday, November 1, 2012

mud bath

One of my favorite races in Little Rock is the Mud Run. I haven't had the pleasure of participating in this race since 2005. I was always on the lookout for similar races while we lived in Texas & New Mexico but never found anything quite the same. Basically, it's a 5k race through open fields and cut paths with the last 50 yards of the race taking place in a mud pit. It's pure, dirty fun! On race morning, the temperature had dropped to below 50 degrees and we had seen lots of rain. Not exactly the conditions one desires for a normal race but perfect for a mud run. My running buddies Sarah and Muhammad geared up for an exciting adventure and were not disappointed. We slopped through the race course anxiously awaiting the pit. In honor of the 10th anniversary of the race, the coordinators built a large mud hill for participants to climb over. As I approached the pit, I ditched my shoes and entered barefoot. I dug my fingernails into the icy, slippery, muddy slope and crawled to the top. You can't help but smile when you are sinking in the ooyest, gooiest mud - on purpose! Until next year Mud Run...it will probably take me that long to get the mud out of my clothes!

The pit and the hill!


Freezing but proudly rocking our 80's workout gear!


Here comes the hill!


The sloppy ending (I had my camera in a plastic baggie so it wouldn't get ruined!).

A muddy mob.



Sarah's shoes went into the pit while I tried the barefoot method.


1 comment:

The Cornelisons said...

This might be the only race I could agree to do...how much fun! Love Muhammed's banana costume.