Tuesday, September 4, 2012

30 days of pins: day 4

CUSTOM T-SHIRT

The credit:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/91366207/custom-order-for-claudia


The process:
The caption on Pinterest read, "place a cut-out on a shirt and then spray bleach around it". When you clicked on the link, it took you to an ETSY shop that didn't include any kind of DIY instructions. I tried the bleach but couldn't get the area around the cutout to turn really white (purple star). I thought it might have been my cheap bleach but didn't have any better luck using a second kind of bleach. I started thinking that it might be fabric paint and not bleach so I picked up some white fabric paint, diluted it with water and tried it out (red Razorback). In the end, both the bleach and the fabric paint worked and I can't even say which one I like better.

The change:
Since there were no instructions, I can't say how the original creator made the shirt.

The checkbook:
I am sure I had tons of shirts to choose from in my closet but I ran across some decent looking, new ones at the Dollar Tree. I snagged a few as well as a bottle of bleach, and two types of spray bottles.
     Total: $4
The fabric paint version cost me closer to $7 with $5.40 being spent on fabric paint from Wal-Mart.

The bottom line:
This is a unique idea that could be used to create lots of custom things. Basically anything made of fabric could be sprayed and customized.


No comments: