Thursday, September 27, 2012

30 days of pinterest: day 27

TO DYE FOR

The credit:
http://sewlikemymom.com/fabric-designing/
and
http://pinaforesandpinwheels.blogspot.com/


The process:
I used Elmers white glue and "drew" the designs directly on the shirts. (I printed them off and put them under the shirts so I could trace them.) Be sure to put something non-absorbent inside the shirt so the glue doesn't go all the way through. I used a small cutting board. I tried lettering on Landon's shirt and found the glue a little difficult to control. All the letters were blending together so I wiped off the glue and tried something else. I let the glue dry for about 30 hours then dyed them with a package of lime dye I found in the craft section at Wal-Mart. I like this stuff way better than the normal RIT dye.) The shirts stayed in the dye for about 10 minutes then I pulled them out, rinsed them in cold water, scrapped off the glue with a butter knife (it's all slimy but comes right off with the knife) and then threw them in the washer for a warm wash. I dried them in the drying using the air setting for about an hour then hung them to dry the rest of the way.

The change:
No changes.

The checkbook:
The dye was $3 and I went ahead and spent .50 for a new bottle of glue.

The bottom line:
This is a cross your fingers and hope it turns out idea. If I do it again, I would try to get the glue into something with a smaller tip like an old puff paint bottle so I could do some lettering/more detailed designs.





No comments: