Monday, September 10, 2012

30 days of pinterest: day 10

READ ALL ABOUT IT

 
The credit:
The link to the original publisher was blocked.



The process:
Here's what the caption read, "Modge podge newpaper to canvas. Stick on letters. Paint over. Peel off letters. Fabulous."
It took me two tries with this pin...
The first try: I spray glued the newspaper to the canvas and then did one layer of modge podge on the top of the newspaper before sticking the letters on. I watered down the acrylic paint a bit thinking it would work better that way. I didn't have enough letters to complete all the words so I had to paint over some, unpeel them and then move them to another location. Here comes trouble...as I tried to remove the letters, the newspaper started to tear and it only got worse with each letter. Everything started to tear and come off the canvas...no go.
The second try: I modge podged the newspaper to the canvas (like the directions said) and then put two layers of m.p. on top of the newspaper. I then used clear spray paint to seal everything. This time the letters peeled off without ripping off the newspaper. Success!

The change:
No changes to the directions from the caption.

The checkbook:
The canvas was $8 at Wal-Mart and the letters where $4 a pack (I had to get two because of my false start).
     Total: ~$20

The bottom line:
I would really like to try this better on the second try idea again with a darker, higher quality artist paint. I would also opt for a piece of black & white newsprint vs colored comics.



No comments: